Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Adele @ The Hollywood Palladium in LA, 08/17/11


A lot can change in a short amount of time, something that the UK's most talented musician of her generation has proven very thoroughly. Three and a half years ago, I had the great honor of meeting Adele after one of her first performances in Los Angeles, a performance that absolutely convinced me she would because as famous and well-revered as she is today. To my great surprise though, she didn't seem all that convinced herself; in a half-joking and all-too-humble manner, she laughed to me that I might be one of the only people to stand in front of her and know every word to her songs. I would just like to say.... ADELE, I TOLD YOU SO.

After unfortunately canceling both of her sold-out LA tour dates earlier in the summer, August 17th could not have come soon enough for her fans here, me included. The excitement in the room was more palpable than had been in any other audience I had ever stood in, many of those around me commenting to their neighbors about how thrilled they were to see her live for the first time. Wanda Jackson, rockabilly legend and one of the most spunky seventy-something year old women I have encountered, opened with a heart-warming mix of rock, country, and endearingly excessive banter with the crowd. She even squeezed in a cover of "You Know I'm No Good" as a tribute to Amy Winehouse, which made me and many others tear up. She was fabulous and I hope I have half of her spirit when I reach that age.

Starting promptly at 9:30 like the altruistic non-diva she is, Adele emerged from behind a curtain and began her set with "Hometown Glory," smiling and waving at as many people as she could. God, if anything tells you how incredible and deserving this girl is of all she has earned, it's the way she interacts with her audience. In between effortlessly belting out tracks like "I'll Be Waiting," "Turning Tables," and "One and Only," she took the time to read signs fans had made for her, dedicate songs to couples standing in the front, and periodically demanded that the lights in the room be turned on so she could properly see those who came to see her perform. I am more than aware that most of the world loves her as much as I do, but Adele will always have a special place in my heart. Though she is obviously quite a talented songwriter, I would also like to say that I think she is especially gifted at interpreting and reproducing the work of others to make them her own, something she proved quite well while performing "If it Hadn't Been for Love" by the Steel Drivers and "Lovesong" by The Cure. She absolutely blew me away with these two covers, and really with entire set. She has always been this talented at performing, but the confidence she has gained and the way she carries herself now really makes me look up to her as an example of how a true artist should be. If you haven't had the absolute privelege of seeing Adele live, make sure to catch her on the second leg of her 21 tour (which she hinted will be coming up in the fall.) And if you haven't already, listen to "If it Hadn't Been for Love" below:

No comments:

Post a Comment