Total Pageviews

Friday, June 17, 2011

The Civil Wars @ Amoeba Records in LA, 06/14/11


Summertime in Los Angeles always means one thing... great free shows at Amoeba. They always present quite the eclectic mix of artists (I've seen everyone from Kate Nash to Amanda Blank perform at the world-famous mecca of music); this week, fans were graced with the presence of The Civil Wars, a folk duo whose simple guitar lines and gorgeous harmonies are nothing short of goosebump-inducing. They were showcasing their newest record, Barton Hollow, which was released in February of this year. I was completely in awe of how natural the connection was between Joy Williams and Jon Paul White, and how full the sound of their two voices and one guitar seemed to be. Though I'm not always partial to this kind of music, I think they have captured something absolutely wonderful together; their performances of "I've Got This Friend," "Poison and Wine," and "20 Years," albeit simple in nature, were so beautiful that I definitely saw a couple of guys in the audience reduced to tears. To my great surprise, too, they covered Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean," which was probably the highlight of the show. I was sad that they didn't play the namesake of the album, but I look forward to seeing much more from them in the future. Wesleyan readers: I spoke with them after the show and they want to come play at school! Keep your eye out. Listen to my favorite track off of their album, "I've Got This Friend," below:

The Civil Wars - I've Got This Friend by LifeBoxset.com

No comments:

Post a Comment